- Skinner is a key researcher linked with developing the theory of operant conditioning.
- He developed various ways of reinforcing rats using food pellets, whicb, because the rats were hungry, meant the food acted like a reward.
- He was able to vary the conditions so that the food was only released if the rat pulled the lever when a red light was on and not when a green light was on.
- The rats quickly learnt to press the lever when the red light was on.
- Thorndike also carried out experiments to examine operant conditioning principles.