BOURDIEU: CAPITAL AND EDUCATIONAL ACHIEVEMENT
- Pierre Bourdieu (1984) believes that you parents' posession of one or four different types of capital can affect your achievement in the education system.
- OWNERSHIP OF WEALTH-owning valuable houses, having an income-(role in education)-paying for private education
- POSSESSION OF EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE OF ARTS/LITERATURE ETC- higher degree level-(role in education)-parents have the knowledge and experience to help children with school work.
- POSSESSION OF VALUABLE SOCIAL CONTACTS-knowing teachers/headteachers may help child get into the school- (role in education)-may help with admission.
- POSSESSION OF STATUS-having an image of respectability-(role in education)-could help with admission to private or selective schools.
- ^^^students from these classes therefore have an advantage because they…