MAX WEBER " An adequate sociological explanation includes 2 key aspects.......
- level of cause- (objective) structural factors that shape peoples behaviour.
- level of meaning- (subjective) meaning that the individual attaches to their action.
TYPES OF ACTION;
Instrumentaly rational action- The actor calculates the most effcient means of acheiving their goal, however this may be, without considering possible negative consequences.
Value rational action- An action towards acheiving a goal, in which the actors perceives as desirable for its own sake.
Traditional action- Routine (habitual) action that requires no rational/conscious thought, but is carried out because it has always been done.
Affectual action- Actions that express emotion.
+ Corrects the over-emphasis on 'stuctural factors affecting our actions', put foeward by functionalists and marxists.
- Schutz 'webers idea is too individualistic and cant explain the shared nature of meanings'
- Webers typlolgy of 'action' is difficult to apply
- The idea of 'verstehen'(empathectic understanding) is not effective as we will never acctualy be that other…