- teleological - telos - end or purpose
- consequentialist theory - only the end justifies the means
- Situationism is the key concept
- Rejects absolutes
- All decisions made using agapé
- 1960s social reform
- protests to end the war in Vietnam
- Civil Rights Movement in the USA
- Sexual Liberalisation -> pill and abortion act
- Reform in the Church with worries about sex before marriage and the sanctity of marriage
- Fletcher - re-proposed the theory in the 1960s in response to the cultural change
- "the morality of an action depends on the situation"
- Looked at 3 different approaches: Antinomianism, Legalism and Situationism
- "it is literally unprincipled" means 'against law', no ethical system, each decision made spontaneously, "they are anarchic"
- A set of moral laws that must be kept "this causes problems as life's complexities require additional laws"
- enters into each moral dilemma with the rules on any given society but must be willing to disregarf those rules in order to serve love better "the situationist follows a moral law…
Similar Religious Studies resources: