After a Guilty Verdict – How Psychology Can Inform the Penal System
Alternatives to Imprisonment
2.2 Restorative Justice
· Crimes have victims and victims often feel that their experiences and expectations are not taken into account by the justice system.
· Restorative justice aims to redress this balance, crime is seen as being against a person or organisation and victims are allowed to be part of what happens.
· Restorative justice has to be voluntary for all parties and seeks a positive outcome.
· It is respectful and not degrading for either offender or victim.
· Restorative justice aims to provide victims with: -
o An opportunity to explain the impact of the crime (impact statements)
o An acknowledgement of the harm caused
o A chance to ask questions