- A Self fulfilling prophecy develops from a label based on a false assumption or prediction.
- The label starts due to stereotypes that can be postive or negative, e.g. violent.
- Stereotypes are when a whole group have certain characterstics, using one members evidence and generalising it to the others.
- Once labelled a person is treated differently, for example if someone has an ASBO they may be labelled as untrustworty meaning they can't get a job.
- The person then reacts to the label either internalising it due to the extent of the discrimination or turning to criminal activity due to the lack of opportunity.
- The prophecy is therefore fulfilled.
- There is a supporting study from JAHODA who found that people lived up to their names in an Ashanti town in Africa, boys who were…