- he run a chocolate company and lived in York
- in his investigation of the poor he found...
- a typical of 5 needed 21s 8d to live on
- 28% of people in York earned less than this
- he found that the poor could be split into 4 kinds:
- primary poverty - these people were so poor that it did not matter how hard they worked. they would never have enough money to live on
- secondary poverty - they families had just enough to survive, if one of them lost their job though or the economy was bad then this would tip them over the edge and they would not be able to…