“Gothic protagonists are victims of no-one but themselves.”
Consider the ways in which writers present gothic protagonists in the light of this comment.
Victor- victim of self
- Created the creature- what causes all of his destruction
- wanted to pursue knowledge- became excessive
- Abandons the creature after creating him
- "i beheld the wretch- the miserable monster whom i had created"
- "I had worked for nearly two years, for the sole purpose of infusing life in to an inaminate body"
- "The beauty of the dream vanished and breathless horror and disgust filled my heart"
Victor- Victim of others
- Victim of creature- he kills all the fam & friends
- "i will glut the more of death, until it be satiated with the blood of your remaining friends"
Victim of pursuit of knowledge/transgressing boundaries
- by pursuing education and going to university to study science, he pushed himself further by creating the creature, which in turn created more turmoil.
- "thus ended a day memorable to me; it decided my future destiny" (after meeting prof)
- "chemistry...became nearly my sole occupation"
- "discovery soon gave place to delight and rapture"
The Bloody Chamber- Girl a Victim of…