Types of secondary documents
Approaches to secondary data
- Extraction: taking statistics or research examples from the orginal texts.
- Content analysis: sources are examined in great detail to see what themes run through them.
- Semiotics: study of signs.
- Hermeneutics: seeks to analyse the secondary sources from the view of the person/organisation that originally sourced the data. Looks at political, social and economic context.
- Literature search: work doesn't have to be repeated.
- There isn't always someone to provide a life or oral history.
- Sometimes it's impossibe for the researcher to visit or talk to the group directly, or studying the group directly would be too obtrusive.