Food goes off if it is not stored properly for a long time.
- When food goes 'off' it is usually down to it being exposed to bacteria or mould.
- When food is exposed to bacteria and mould it begins to break down.
- When food starts to break down due to mould or bacteria it creates a bad smell and the food will taste horrible. With some foods it can make you have food poisoning.
- There's a lot fo demand nowadays for food that keeps longer. It's easier and cheaper to transport to shops. Also, our shopping habits have changed, most people now do one big shop a week rather lots of individual shopping trips. This is because it is more convienient however it does mean food is kept on shelves for longer.
- Additives can help food last longer…