Moving and storing heat
Heating is all about the transfer of energy.
Heat is a measure of energy:
- When a substance is heated its particles gain energy. This then makes the particles in a gas or liquid move around faster. However, in a solid the particles vibrate more rapidly.
- Energy is measured on an absolute scale. This means it can't go lower than 0 because there is a limit on how slow particles can move.
- Heat is measured in joule (J).
Temperature is the measure of hotness:
- The hotter the object the higher the temperature.
- Temperature is measured in degrees celsius. However, there is another scale…