Natural and artificial additives are put in food. Additives improve the quality or shelf life of food.
Additives make food last longer, taste better and look nicer:
- Sweets and soft drinks often use food colours because they make them look nicer.
- Mushy peas contain a green dye so therefore do not use food colouring.
- Bought chocolate cake mixes, on the other hand, will contain brown food colouring because of the lack of food colouring.
- When foods flavours are enhanced it brings out their smell and taste. It does this without adding a taste of their own.
- Food flavours are commonly found in packet foods and ready meals.
- Antioxidants help to preserve food.
- Emulsifiers help oil and water blend together in foods like ice cream.
Antioxidants stop foods reacting with oxygen:
- When some foods are exposed and react with the oxygen they will go off. Antioxidants prevent this from happening.
- In some food's the fat…