Schizophrenia – Symptoms and diagnosis
A psychosis: NOT a split personality
What is schizophrenia?
• First suggested by Bleuler 1911 to describe a class of disorder with similar symptoms:
– Disorganised thought processes
– Split between intellect and emotion
– Split between intellect and emotional reality
• Auditory hallucinations: ‘hearing’ noises, usually voices talking to each other or the sufferer
• Delusions: false beliefs e.g delusions of grandeur – thinking you’re God, or delusions of persecution – thinking they’re after you.
• Disordered thinking: a feeling that thoughts have been inserted into, or withdrawn from the mind.
• Control: lack of self control as though being under the control of an alien power.
• Apathy: little initiative, no energy. (sometimes called ‘avolition’)
• Emotional blunting: ‘flat’ emotions
DSM Classification & subtypes
• 4 types
– Disorganised: thought disturbances, don’t show emotion, loss of interest in life, disorganised behaviour, not goal orientated.
– Catatonic: motor symptoms eg unusual gestures, maybe repeatedly in a…