- Background: Piaget's theory - a maturational theory of cognitive development
- Four stages:
- Sensory motor stage (0-2yrs)
- Pre-operational stage(2-7yrs)
- Concreate stage(7-11)
- Formal operations (11+yrs)
Aim: Test whether the methodolgy used by Piaget's conservation experiment was the reason children under the age of 8 years old made errors.
Participants: 252 school children- boys and girls. Aged5 to 8.5 - Crediton Devon.
- Four groups of 63
- Each of the four groups were split into 3
- Standard group (2 Q's)
- One judgement question (1Q)
- Fixed array ( didn't see the change)
- Number, mass and volumes experiments
- Ask child was asked to do four trials of each task =12