The Sacrament of Marriage
Christian Marriage is when a man and a woman are bonded together in a lifelong, permanent and exclusive relationship.
In the Catholic Church, marriage is a SACRAMENT.
A SACRAMENT IS AN OUTWARD SIGN OF INWARD GRACE. GOD IS PRESENT AND IS BLESSING THE MARRIAGE.
What is a Christian Marriage?
A Christian Marriage is:
- Life-long and PERMANENT (until death)
- EXCLUSIVE (just to one person and you must remain faithful)
- LIFE-GIVING (open to the possibility of children)
What are the conditions of marriage?
- It must be FREELY CHOSEN (you can't be forced into it)
- FREE TO MARRY (you can't be already married to someone else)
- OPEN TO THE POSSIBILITY OF CHILDREN
- Both must have a RESPONSIBLE ATTITUDE to marriage and an equal, loving relationship
In the Catholic Church, couples attend marriage preparation classes with the priest before they get married. They talk through what a Christian marriage involves and…