What do the police do?
- Radical Commentaries- Often negative and tend to focus on use of repressive tactics
- Conservative Commentaries- Often positive and idealise the consensual basis for British policing
- Liberal Commentaries- Note diverse and competing demands in place on the police
Keeping the Peace?
- Calls for help- 30% of the time
- Other 70% spent reasurring public, giving advice and assistance, dispute managment, social problems, etc
- Public held image of what the police do is incorrect
- Banton (1964) "Peace Officers"
- Punch- Social service work "round the clock social services" or the "secret social service"
Preventing crime? Robert Peels police
- Patrol work was originally seen as the backbone of police work- However only a small amount of time spent patrolling
- Costly and time consumming
- Doesn't form positive relationship with the community
- Objectives are unclear
- Doesn't have much impact on crime