ROCKS AND BUILDING MATERIALS
Limestone and its uses
- Limestone is made mainly of calcium carbonate.
- Limestone is used as a building material and to make calcium oxide and cement.
- Cement mixed with sand, aggregate and water makes concrete.
- Calcium carbonate decompose when heated to make calcium oxide and carbon dioxide.
Reactions of carbonates
- Metal carbonates decompose when heated to produce the metal oxide and carbon dioxide.
- Carbonates react with acids to produce a salt, water and carbon dioxide.