There are five distinct labels which can influence our choice of equipment, these are:
- The CE mark
- The British Electrotechnical Approvals Board (BEAB)
- The BSI kitemark
- The European union ecolabel
- The EU energy label
The CE mark
- EU introduced this mark to make trade easier and cheaper
- Manufactors can meet legal requirements for health and safety
- Indicates that appliance meets requirements of EU laws.
- guarantee's products safety
- given stamp when passed an electrical test.
- Invented so consumer isnt exposed to hazards e.g. electrical shocks.
- Mark of safety.
- Guarantee's product has been tested for performance i.e safety
- BSI is an independant organisation
- Products are tested for: electrical safety, flammability, and strength.
European union ecolabel
- Official award for products which can meet a high environmental standard.
EU energy label
- Retailers must tell you about energy efficiency of many electrical appliances e.g. fridges.
- uses a simple scale
- Products rated from A-G; A= most efficient an item can be, G= least efficient an item can be- bad for environment.
- Also displays other useful info
FACTORS INFLUENCING SELECTION AND PURCHASE
The following factors need to be considered by consumers before they purchase an item:
- Price and money available- financial resources need to be looked at before they go buying appliances, shop around for best price.
- Design- size, colour, shape, goodlooking, suitable weight, energy efficient, safe, stable, electrically stable.
- Quality- consumers need to look at their budget, shop around and get the best qualityitem in their price range.
- Fitness for purpose - consumers need to make sure that the appliance does what its actually meant to do.
- Advertising and consumer trends - most people are persuaded by the popularity of the item.
- Energy efficient- with the current trend to being environmentally friendly, important to look at energy efficient label aiming for A-C.
RANGE OF EQUIPMENT
Used for heating, cooking, and defrosting food, and cooking frozen ready made meals.
Advantages of microwave ovens
- has a turntable which means it needs less stopping and stirring, so other household tasks can be done.
- can be plugged in anywhere
- saves time and energy as they cook food quicker
- saves washing up time as it might all be in one pot
- easy to clean
- flavours better due to better cooking time
- food prep time is a lot quicker
Disadvantages of microwave ovens
- can take up kitchen space
- timing of cooking is important,as food can be overcooked.
- doesnt brown or crisp meals.
- high temps can cause foods with ghi sugar/ fat to combust
- cold spots occur if not stirred properly
- metal cant…