Both visions and voices share certain characteristics with other experiences and descriptions overlap.
- For instance, Isaiah's experience is a vision and is numinous.
- St Theresa's vision described below is also a mystical experience.
- Visions occur in a variety of forms and in various faiths.
St Teresa's Vision
- I saw a Christ at my side - or, to put it better, I was conscious of Him, for neither with the eyes of the body or the soul did I see anything.
- Some thinkers refer to these as intellectual visions.
- The vision is not the same as seeing an external object with the eyes.
- It is instead a clear vision in the mind's eye.
- Religious believers who have these types of vision would argue that they are far too profound to be confused with the imagination.
- One dramtatic type of religious experience is the hearing of voices. These…