- Created by: Vez97
- Created on: 18-02-16 18:12
What is RELIGIOUS LANGUAGE?
Religious language is the communication of ideas about God, faith, belief and practice.
Quote --> Peter Donovan: "[religious language] is the way words, often quite ordinary ones, are used in some form or context of religious belief and observance."
TYPES OF R. LANGUAGE
- Truth-claims, e.g. 'Jesus is alive today'
- Expressions of emotions, e.g. 'we are truly sorry and repent all of our sins'
- Performative language, e.g. 'let us worship God'
- Prescriptive language, e.g. 'Honour your mother and father'
The religious language debate is not concerned with whether or not God exists, or what God is like or why there is evil in the world. Instead, it is concerned with working out whether or not religious language means anything/if it can…