- Created by: erinmcmenamy23
- Created on: 14-09-15 20:52
Topic 1 - Background to Mark's Gospel
- Gospel = Good News
- They tell the life and work of Jesus
- Written in Greek
Mark Introduces his Gospel (1:1)
The beginning of the gospel about Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
What was Mark's purpose in writing the gospel?
- Strengthen belief of Christians
- Convert people to Christianity
- Written by someone who had faith to create or encourage faith.
We believe the gospels are guided/inspired by God and therefore have authority.
Mark wanted to highlight the role of disciples.
A permanent written record was needed.
Authentic records needed to be kept.
Christians needed to be encouraged in their faith because of persecution.
Who was Mark and what/who were his sources for the Gospel?
We believe Mark was a scribe and friend of Peter. Mark's number one source was Peter.
- Jesus' actual words quoted in Aramaic
- Only three disciples present at his events
- The Disciples - met at Mark's mother's home
- Other eyewitnesses - Bartimaeus, Simon of Cyrene
- The Passion Narative - Jesus' suffering and death
- Ur Markus - a primitive, early version of gospel, possibly written by Mark
- Matthew's Gospel
- Paul and Barnabas
When and where was the Gospel written?
- Scholars believe it was written around the time of the destruction of…