- A reflex arc is a FIXED nervous pathway taht enables quick 'automatic' responses independent of the brain.
- Simple reflexes include dropping a hot object and newborn reflexes.
A spinal reflex arc included a Receptor - Sensory neuron - relay neuron - motor neuron - effector.
- Neurons do not connect physically;impulses are transmitted across gaps called synapses.
- Some toxins and drugs affect the transmitted of nerve impulses across synapses.
- There are many different transmitters, each corresponding to a specific receptor.
- An impulse arriving at the end of a nerve causes the release of a chemical transmitter.
- The transmitter diffuses acorss the synapse, binds to receptor molecules and sets up an impulse in the next…
Similar Biology resources: