- Created by: nik1
- Created on: 06-05-18 13:21
Origins and Meanings
Catholic beliefs about creation of the universe
- God alone created the world out of nothing - ex nihilo
- God is eternal - before the creation of the universe there was only God
- God is transcendent - beyond space and time, part of this universe but not
- God is the creator - created the Heaven and Earth - Nicene Creed "maker of Heaven and Earth all things visible and invisible"
- God is omnipotent - he was able something out of nothing
Confessions XII, 7
- Shows St Augustines views on the creation of the universe
- "This is not a matter of distance or place" - God is transcendent
- "Thou dist create something, that out of nothing" - omnipotent
- "To which only thou art superior" - he is the most powerful
- For - he is omnipotent, there was nothing is the universe before him
- Against - Genesis does not mention ex nihilo, nothing can be made from nothing, Big Bang
Genesis Creation Accounts
- take into account the context of when written
- Genesis is a symbolic parable about humans relationship with God and creation
- science answers the how and why questions
- 6 days = 6 periods of time
- Bible should be taken litarally
- Genesis literally describes how the universe was created
- Authors of the BIble are inspired by God
- Bible contains the word of God
- One God
- He made everything
- Everything he made was good
- Made man in his image
Catholic response to evolution
- St John Paul II - "there is no colfict between evolution and the doctrine of faith regarding man and his vocation"
Humans and Creation
- Genesis - "rule over the fish... and the birds... and every living creature"
- Genesis - "God let man name the animals"
Genesis and Humans
- Imago dei - "God created man in his image"
- Sanctity of life - we relect God
- Goodness of Creation - "it was good"
- Human stewardship - domination over other species
- Love each other
- Everyone is equal
- No religion