- Agree with traditional Marxism that crime lies in the 'material basis of society' and wealth inequalities lie at the root of the crime.
- Unlike traditional Marxism, they argue that criminals 'choose' to commit crimes and are not simply driven to crime by poverty.
- Many reasons why people commit crimes, such as anomie, subcultures, labelling etc. but these are deliberate actions with political motives i.e. Women's movement.
- Deviants are not passive victims of capitalism, but actors struggling to alter capitalism.
- Overthrowing the system is necessary (communism).
Hall et al.'s Study
- Studied muggings…