- Closed questions: questions that require a specific answer.
- Open questions: questions that allow the respondent to expand.
- Prompts: possible answers to questions.
- Response rate: the proportion of questionnaires that are returned.
- Validity: the problem of ensuring that the questions measure what the researcher intends them to.
- They can reach a large number of people - easy to organise and distribute.
- Cheap to produce/create.
- Can be converted into statistical data through use of coding.
- Useful for topics that may embarrass the participant and interviewer presence may be inappropriate.
- Highly standardised, meaning everyone receives the questions in the same format (reliable).
- Generalisable to the whole population (if…