Legal Services & Funding
Help for Funding
· Lawyers or advice agencies with a contract
· Duty solicitor at police station
· Duty solicitor at Magistrates’ court
· Community Legal Service
· Must show case should be funded
· Some cases are not funded
· E.g. personal injury, defamation & claims under £5,000
· Criminal Defence Service
· Available if in the interests of justice
· Finances considered at the end of the case
· May have a salaried defender or private lawyer.
· Conditional fee agreements
· Some pro bono representation available
· Must pay the full fee
· Conditional fee agreements are NOT allowed
Access to justice Act 1999 2 schemes
- Community legal service
- Criminal Defence Service
The legal services commission oversees the public funding for both of these schemes.
The community legal service does:
- General information about the law and legal system & the availability of legal services
- Legal advice
- Help in preventing or otherwise resolving disputes about legal rights & duties (this may include in representation in the county court or High court )
- Help in enforcing decisions by which such disputes are resolved.
The money paid for this service comes out of the legal service fund, there is a set limit of money to be used.
Certain types of civil cases are NOT funded, these are: