- Created by: Ettie_Long
- Created on: 17-05-15 18:56
Definitions of Abnormality
- Deviation from social norms
- Behaviour which is considered anti-social or undesirable by the majority of society.
- Social standards are not restricted to rules of etiquette but also more moral issues.
- Concept of deviation varies as times change, e.g. homosexuality is acceptable now whereas it wouldn't have been 50 years ago.
- Szasz claimed that the concept of mental illness was simply a way to exlude those who don't conform to societial norms.
- Making judgements based on deviance is often related to the context of behaviour.
- It is hard to establish a clear line between abnormal deviation and harmless eccentricity.
- Social deviance on its own cannot offer a complete definition of abnormality.