Findings and Conclusions
- Rats were feared considerably more than any other animal. Informal questioning suggested that it was because they were perceived as mean, harmful animals.
- In the ratings, for nearness, females were found to be less willing to approach or pick up 10 of the animals than males.
- There was no notable sex difference in ratings of uglisness, sliminess, speediness and suddeness of movement.
- There was an extremely close correlation in the nearness ratings of men and women.
- Speediness and sudden movement are highly correlated (r=+0.95). The correlation between nearness and sudden movement is +0.5, but when the effect of ugliness is…