The inbuilt natural mood and personality. All traits that you were born with are inherited by your parents.
Thomas, Chess and Birch (1977)
AIM: To discover whether ways of responding to the environment remain stable throughout life.
- They studied 133 children from infancy to early adulthood
- The childerns behaviour was observed and their parents were interviewed
- The parents were asked about the childs routine and its reactions to change
RESULTS: They found that children fell into three catorgories: easy, difficult or slow to warm up.
CONCLUSION: These ways of responding to the environment stayed with the children as they developed therefore they concluded that themperament is innate.
Strangth: Shows us how people behave in real life therefore having high ecological validity as the children were observed in a real life setting.
Weakness: Parents may have been biased in the answers they gave in the interviews therefore affecting the reliability of the results.
Buss and Plomin (1984)
AIM: To test the idea that temperament is innate.
- They studied 228 pairs of identical twins (MZ) and 172 pairs of non-identical twins (DZ)
- Rating scales were given to…