- The process of gradually introducing an individual to an object or event that they feel anxious towards.
- Experiencing anxiety about something means someone will avoid them, as they are usually confronted with it all at once. It is therefore good to introduce gradually and over a long period of time.
- Relaxing the patient at each step, makes the situation more familiar and less over-whelming.
- The aim of SD is to reduce anxiety people associate with feared objects or situations; interfering with them living a normal life.
- Feared stimulus not so fearful.
- counterconditioning (teaching a behaviour that is incompatible with the fear response) ; enables individuals to overcome their anxieties by learning to relax in the presence of stimuli once made them unbearable and…