- Freud said schizphrenia was the result of: regression to a pre-ego stage and attempts to re-establish ego control.
- If a schizophrenics world has previously been harsh, the early stage may be regressed to before the ego was properly formed and before a realistic awareness had been developed of the world.
- Schizophrenia was seen by Freud as an infantile state with some symptons reflecting primitive conditionsand other symptons reflected ability to dry and redevelop eg-control.
- This explanation acknowledges the role of biological factors in causing the initial sensory experiences of schizophrenia.
- Further features are just the individual understanding.
- Turning to others when experiencing positive symptons makes them believe that others are hiding the truth. So they reject feedback and become delusional.
- Psychodynamic Explanations
- No research evidence supporting Freuds ideas except psychoanalysts claims that disordered family patterns are the cause.
- Schizophregenic mothers who are dominant have contributory influences in the development.
- Parents of schizophrenic patients do behave differently from parents of other kinds of patient, particularly in the presence of their disturbed offspring but this is as likely to be a conseuqnce of their children's problems as a cause
- Cognitive Explanations
- Evidence of a physical basis for cognitive deficits associated with schizophrenia.
- A link was found between excess dopamine in the prefrontal cortex, and working memory
- madness being a consequence of disbelieving others receives curious support from a recent suggestion for treatment.
- A maachine producing virtual hallucinations has been released to show schizophrenics that their hallucinations are not real- no evidence for this being a sucessful treatment.
- Life Events and Schizophrenia
- Major stress factor been associated with higher risk of schizophrenic episodes is the ocurrence of stressful life events. e.g. death of a close relative.
- Prior to a schizophrenic episode, patients previously expericeingschizophrenia reported twice as many stressful life events compared to a healthy…