What are proteins made from?
- Proteins are polymers, large chains of monomers.
- The monomers of proteins are amino acids.
- A dipeptide = 2 Amino Acids
- A polypeptide = 2+ Amino Acids
- Proteins are made of one or more polypeptides.
Amino Acid Structure:
- Carboxyl group (-COOH), Amino Group (-NH2), R Group
- Amino Acids are linked together by condensation reactions to form dipeptides and polypeptides. A molecule of water is released during the reaction.
- The bonds formed are called peptide bonds.
- This bond is between the amino group of one and the carboxyl group of another.
- Hydrolysis reactions break the peptide bond.
- Sequence of amino acids in a polypeptide chain held together by…