- The genetic information (DNA) of a cell is stored in structures called chromosomes.
- When cells divide they must pass on all of their genetic information to each daughter cell. Therefore, each chromosome must be replicated before cell division so that each daughter cell receives all the instructions it needs to function.
- When a chromosome is replicated the two identical chromosomes are joined together by a centromere and they are called sister chromatids.
- During mitosis, the cell separates its cytoplasm, organelles and DNA equally.
- Mitosis is a continuous process but it is useful to divide it into four…