- a sentence which allows criminals to remain in the community under certain conditions, it often involves community service, and criminals usually have rules about drinking and have curfews.
- it is suggested that it should be used more as opposed to short sentences, as they don't prevent recidivism.
Several rules of probation:
- can't miss appointments or be late
- can't turn up drunk or on drugs
- can't upset or threaten people
- can't use racist or offensive language
MAIR AND MAY:
-random sample of 3000 offenders in England…