Privation is when an attachment was never formed at all in childhood. This could be due to:
- Primary caregiver has a mental disorder
-Many foster carers
-Raised in an institution
---Case Studies ---
Czech twins (Koluchova 1972)
- Born 1960, mother died and the twins were put in care until 18 months old.
- Returned to their father, who worked away alot. And their stepmother who had 4 other children from her previous marriage.
- Stepmother kept the twins in an unheated cellar, starved, and brat them. Their bedding was plastic sheeting.
- They were discovered by authorities at the age of 7. When found they had no speech, could walk, subnormal IQ and they were afraid of people.
- They were then fostered by 2 sisters who gave exceptional care.