4) Promoting individuals rights to dignity, independence, choice and safety
What do we mean by the term 'rights'
- Rights can be covered by laws e.g. the right to drive a car at 18, the right to vote or get married, the right to go to school.
- Rights can also be seen as a natural or universal right - the right to work, the right to have children, thr right to make choices about what to do in your daily life.
Legislations to support individuals rights include:
- The Human Rights Act 1998
- The Children Act 1989
- Health and Safety and Work Act 1973
- NHS and Community Care Act 1990
The Right to Dignity
This means that individuals have the right to preserve their privacy with particular reference to hygiene, feeding etc, e.g. in a residential home an individual should…