- Created by: Em
- Created on: 27-04-16 10:24
-A pregnant woman should ensure her diet contains sufficient energy, protein, iron, calcium, folate and vitamin C&D.
- Supplements of folic acid for the first 12 months should be given to reduce the risk of neural tube defects such as spina bifida.
- Energy and thiamin (B1) are required for the last 3 months
- Mineral requirements don't increase but iron supplements may be given
- Fresh fruit and vegetables- dark green leafy vegetables- folate
- Starchy carbs- bread, pasta, cereals
- Dairy- milk, cheese, yoghurt
- Lean meat and fish
- Fish- essential fatty acids- no more than 2 portions of oily fish…