- Created by: q
- Created on: 19-09-17 20:12
Between the political parties, there were many agreeing policies, such as:—
- a belief in a mixed economy.
- support for the NHS and welfare state; no more laissez faire.
- an aim to ensure full employment; contrast to the mass unemployment in the ‘30s.
- working with both trade unions and employers.
Sometimes, this consensus is named after RAB and Labour PM, Gaitskell; Butskellism. Despite this, opinions within the party varied.
In their manifesto, the Conservatives vowed to build 300,000 council houses a year. This would rebuild the houses destroyed during the war, and replace many of the slums people had lived in prior. Macmillan undersaw this, on…