Population chanege - china's one child policy
Facts and figures
- introduced in 1979
- applied to native (han) Chinese
- if the first child is a girl parents can try for a boy but this is more seen in rural areas as boys are more needed because stereotypically they are stronger and they can help their parents on farms etc.
- parents who are the only children in the family can have 2 kids
Why was it needed?
- population incresing at very high rate
How was it enforced?
- marriage at the age of 24 -> if peole get married later they have less time to have kids
- sterilised women -> after 1st baby soem women were sterilised, without even knowing it, to prevent them from being pregnant again
- 10% salary cut if a couple had more than one child -> as people don't want to lose money they won't have more than one child because the wouldn't afford the basics
- registration cards - this is very important becasue only the first child can get it. The second child won't get it so it won't be able to…
Similar Geography resources: