- Created by: ShelleyK
- Created on: 08-04-13 17:00
ENERGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT
Fossil fuel problems:
- When we burn coal, oil or gas, greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide are released, which cause global warming.
- Burning fossil fuels can also produce sulfur dioxide, which creates acid rain which in turn has corrosive effects on buildings and statues, and makes lakes,ponds and rivers turn acidic.
- Fossil fuels are non-renewable, meaning they are slowly running out and the Earth's reserves of these fuels are limited.
So what are the alternative sources of energy?
- Clean fuel - no sulfur dioxide or harmful greenhouse gases are produced
- Much more energy gained from each kilogram of uranium (or plutonium) fuel than from fossil fuel
- Continuous process
- The used fuel rods contain radioactive waste, which has to be stored safely for centuries.