Many factors affect your total stopping distance
- If you need to stop in a given distance, then the faster a vehicle's going, the bigger breaking forces it'll need.
- Likewise, for any given breaking force, the faster you're going, the greater the your stopping distance. But in real life it's not quite that simple - if your maximum breaking force isn't enough, you'll go durther before you stop.
- The total stopping distance covered in the time between the driver first spotting a hazard and the vehicle coming to a complete stop.
- The stopping distance is the sum of the thinking distance and the breaking distance.
1) Thinking Distance
It's affacted by two main factors:
- How fast you're going - whatever your reaction time, the faster you're going, the further you'll go.
- How dopey you are - This is affected by tiredness, drugs, alcohol and a careless blase…