Electricity in the Home
Hazards in the home
- Long cables
- Frayed cables
- Cables in contact with something hot or cold
- Water near sockets
- Shoving things into the socket
- Damaged plugs
- Too many plugs into one socket
- lighting sockets without bulbs in
- Appliances without their covers on.
Cables within plugs
- Most electrical appliances are connected to the mains suppy by three-core cables. This means that they have three wires inside them, each with a core of copper and a coloured plastic coating.
- The brown LIVE WIRE in a mains supply alternates between a HIGH +VE AND -VE VOLTAGE.
- The blue NEUTRAL WIRE is always at 0V. Electricty normally flows…