Previously in Photosynethsis
- Plants are Photoautotrophs.
- The process of photosynethsis takes place in the chloroplasts.
- Within the cholorplasts are 2 main districts the stroma and the grana.
- The stroma is home to the light dependent stage.
- The grana is home to the light independent stage.
- Within the light dependent stage, water is split into hydrogen ions, elctrons and oxygen.
Photophosphorylation is the process of which ATP is made from ADP and Pi (inorganic phosphate) in the presence of light. Now there are 2 different types of photophosphorylation, cyclic and non-cyclic which both use different photosystems.
There are 2 main photosystems which are used in the 2 different types of photophosphorylation,
Photosystem 1 (P700) and Photosystem 2 (P680), the 700 and 680 come from the optimum light wave length that each one can absorb.
- This only uses PS1. For this explanation we need to imagine a night out (it…