What is starch and where does the energy it contains come from?
- Starch is made by joining together thousands of glucose molecules. When starch is broken down in digestion, glucose is released and can be used for respiration
- Plant cells also need to respire and so need a supply of glucose. Plants can actually manufacture their own glucose using raw materials of carbon dioxide and water
- This process is called photosynthesis. Plants can also store the glucose they make as carbohydrates, like starch
Carbon dioxide + water --> glucose + oxygen
- Photosynthesis is a complex series of enzyme-catalysed reactions which occurs inside cell organelles called chloroplasts
- Light is the energy source for photosynthesis and…