- DSM-5 categories of phobia:
- All phobias are characterised by excessive fear and anxiety, triggered by an object, place of situation. The following are recognised categories of phobia and related anxiety disorder:
- Specific phobia: phobia of an object, or a situation.
- Social anxiety - phobia of a social situation
- Agoraphobia - phobia of being outside or in a public space.
- Behavioural characteristics of phobias:
- Panic - they may panic in response to the presence of the phobic stimulus. Panic could be defined by crying, screaming, or running away. Children may react by freexing or clinging.
- Avoidance - they make a lot of effort to avoid coming into contact with the phobic stimulus.
- Endurance - The alternative to avoidance. A sufferer reamains in the presence…