- Created by: caithughes25
- Created on: 13-04-15 15:31
Peter Vardy on Aquinas and Natural Law, taken from the Puzzle of Ethics
"To disparge the debate of reason is equivalent to condemning the command of God." Aquinas
Not just Aquinas' Natural Law - Cicero - "True law is right reason in agreement with nature."
- Natural Law was a moral code which humans are naturaly inclined towards
- Aquinas' natural theology - did not go against revealed theology.
- A moral life is the life which is lived "according to reason" and indeed, acting in accordance with reason was the same as acting as a Christian would act.
- However, Aquinas was different to those philosophers, such as Cicero and Aristotle who did not believe in the God of CT, as Aquinas believed humans were immortal and any moral theory and understanding of natural law therefore, to…