- Created by: xxeli123xx
- Created on: 10-03-18 11:29
- 11 years when Charles goverend without parliament
- Ended after events in Soctland forced Charles to recall parliament 1640.
- Charles wnated to secure finanacial position so he ddint need to recall parliament.
- Peace with France (1629) and Spain (1630) - reduce major costs
- Charles exploited traditional feudal dues, payments which the the crown controlled and which did not need parliamentary approval e.g. monopolies were granted to individuals or groups of merchants who had exclusive rights to impirt a product and fix its price at a high level.
- Key source of income - Ship Money - very successful - anually gave charles £200,000 - less likely to call parliament - but caused massive resentment and opposition
- Ship Money - originally levied on only coastal counties but in 1635, it was extnded as national tax and continued until 1640.
Hampden's Case (October 1637)
- John Hampden (member of Buckinghamshire gentry), challenged legality of Ship Money and refused to pay it.
- Trial became a test case of…