An arrangement of the elements according to their atomic number. Most elements in the periodic table are metals(left side). Non-metals are found on the ight of the periodic table.
Properties of Metals:
- Tend to be solid with high melting and boiling points with relatively high densities.
- Form positive ions.
- Conduct heat.
- Good condutors of electricity. Thier oxides are bases.
- They react with acids to give salt and water.
Properties of Non-metals:
- Tend to have low melting and boiling points.
- Tend to be brittle as solids, even if crystalline.
- Form negative ions and covalent compounds.
- Form oxides which are acidic or neutral.
Groups and Periods
A group is a vertical column in the Periodic Table. Elements in a group have similar chemical properties becuase they have the same number of electrons in their outer shell.
A period is a hortizontal row of elements in the Periodic Table. Elements show…