Benefits of sport
Regular exercise improves health and fitness. Health is defined as a state of complete mental, physical and social well-being; not merely the absence of illness or infirmity. Fitness is the ability to meet the demands of the environment.
Mental benefits include:
- improved confidence
- relief of stress/tension and stress related illness
Physical benefits include:
- losing weight
- improved posture
- improved body shape
Social benefits include:
- meeting people
- making friends
Being a member of a sports club and regularly participating in sport will develop personal qualities from:
- Co-operation – working with others.
- Competition – testing yourself against others.
- Physical challenge – testing yourself against the environment or your best performances.
- Aesthetic appreciation – recognizing quality of movement in a performance.
HEALTH RELATED FITNESS
Health related fitness factors
Everyone needs to have a level of fitness for everyday activities.
Health related exercise improves the health related fitness factors which are also useful to sportspeople. These are:
- Cardiovascular fitness is the ability to exercise the whole body for long periods of time and is sometimes called stamina.
- Muscular strength is the amount of force a muscle can exert against a resistance. It helps sportspeople to hit, tackle and throw.
- Muscular endurance is the ability to use voluntary muscles many times without becoming tired. It helps sportspeople to sprint or repeat quick actions for longer.
- Flexibility is the range of movement…