- In the last 30 years there has been a significant shift towards tolerance and acceptance of a diverse set of sexualities.
- Simpson sought to discover the norms and values for middle aged gay men in Manchester and how their gay identity was portrayed in different circumstances.
- He wanted to find out how getting older affected their norms, and whether social class or ethnicity had an impact on gay identity.
- Simpson found that his sample shared the common value of believing homosexual relationships to be of equal worth to heterosexual relationships.
- Homophobia and a fear of homophobic attack meant that they had two sets of norms:
- The first set of norms was used in public 'heterospaces…